[Sca-cooks] oxtail soup, Vol 57, Issue 36

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Feb 2 11:21:39 PST 2011

>That being said, there is a wide variety of
>dishes in many medieval cookbooks, including dishes like "gruel" and
>"garbage".  I've even seen medieval recipes that call for a cow's udder,
>so I think the lack of an oxtail recipe in the medieval corpus is not
>insignificant.

>3. Offal was (to a degree) valued, with contracts stating who in a
>manoral setting was to get certain organs (there are also heaps of
>recipes for kidney pies).

Well, garbage didn't mean the same thing then.

Among Rumpolt's 2000 recipes are 7 for Udder, I think it was a delicacy.
And about 8 for kidneys (none for kidney pie)
Along with spleen, brain, eyes, tongue, stomach,
lungs, throat, tripe, intestines, feet, and
others.

And I just noticed an Ox tail recipe.  Not soup though.

Ochsen 73. Eyngemachten Ochsenschwantz/ setz jn
zu in einem Wasser/ vnd laß an die statt sieden/
heb die Brüh davon auff/ so wirdt es wohl
geschmack/ Als dann nimm gelbe Rüben/ schab vnd
schneidt sie voneinander/ quells in Wasser/ vnd
kül es auß/ Nimm darnach ein wenig ungesaltzen
Speck vnd Zwibel/ hacks durcheinander mit grünen
Kräutern/ laß den Schwantz damit sieden/ thu
gestossen Pfeffer darein/ so wirt es gut vnd wohl
geschmack.

73.  Put up** Oxtail/ set it to (the fire) in a
water/ and let simmer until done/ lift from the
broth/ like this it becomes good and well
tasting/ then take yellow roots (yellow carrots)/
peel and cut them apart/ parboil in water/ and
cool off/ Then take a little unsalted bacon and
onion/ chop together with green herbs/ let the
tail simmer with them/ put in ground pepper/ like
this it is good and well tasting.

** Eyngemachten is a difficult word, modernly it
means canned, but in Rumpolt indicates fruit
preserved in sugar or dishes with a sauce or
sometimes in a pie - I suspect they might be
dishes meant to be served cold.  I've settled for
using "put up" to translate it, but am aware that
it isn't entirely correct.

Ranvaig