[Sca-cooks] Documenting balsamic? & food & fertility in Renaissance Italy

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 10:20:41 PST 2011

If Eduardo gets the barrels and lets me tag along to help I'm sure we'll be
posting lots, and lots of pictures. :) The hardest part does currently seem to
be tracking down barrels in the correct sizes- and woods. Oak seems to be the
most common with the others being much more rare.

I'm currently in the process of writing up my first paper (of many hopefully)
on all the information I've gathered about reproduction & medical theory in the
Italian Renaissance (as well as putting together the Culinary Symposium in AnTir
in April). I'm hoping to publish if I can so I'll have to check with my mentor
and see if he feels it would be a good idea for me to release the paper on the
Internet as well.  However, I'm always happy to share the resources I've tracked
down and could organize my bibliography and pass that on to you when I have a
free moment. In my search I've found lots of terrific information on historical
medical practices, midwifery, etc. but felt that not all of it was specifically
applicable to the focus of my research, but they may be of great interest to
others. I've got reviews I've written up on some of the academic papers I've
read for this, and I'd also be happy to pass on those reviews as well.

In joyous service,
Raffaella