[Sca-cooks] udder things to consider

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 14:47:26 PST 2011

<<< Is this one of those historical dishes like horse that was eaten during harsh times? I can't imagine someone just decided one day, " I am going to serve cow udder to the King today."
Aelina >>>

Blanket statements about our time period tend to turn out to be false. That is true of the statement "like horse that was eaten during harsh times".  It is true that horse was not eaten by the nobility in Europe but I'm not sure that we've determined that that was true for the lower classes. I find it difficult to believe that they would let an elderly plow horse go to waste.

And it wasn't true in western Asia. We do have various recipes for horse meat from there.
horse-recipes-msg (34K) 10/16/04 Period horse recipes. References.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/horse-recipes-msg.html

Since we do have a number of recipes from different cultures and times for udder, it must not have been as distasteful as say, insects, but I think it will take more research on these recipes to decide if they were limited by class or could have been served to a king.

Serving udder to an SCA King would likely get you a variety of results, depending upon the King. If you aren't that brave, there is apparently an udder illusion made from eggs mentioned in the Florilegium eggs-msg file.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com