[Sca-cooks] class list & last call for Class submissions for the AnTIr Culinary Symposium

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 14:40:08 PST 2011

We're down to the last hours and the final finishing touches on the class
schedule for this year's Culinary Symposium. If you have a class you would like
to teach (or know someone who you feel should be encouraged to share their
knowledge) please let me know ASAP- we need the following information by
tomorrow (Saturday February 4th) to update the
website and the class pre-registration system:
Class title
Brief Class description
Class minimum / maximum limit (e.g. 2 min, 10 max)
Hands on / lecture & any class room logistics (e.g. modern or out door cooking
space, etc.)-
PLEASE NOTE: We currently don't have any teaching space in a modern kitchen
left. Duration (1 hour increments preferred, but 1/2 hour considered, please
plan to end class 10 minutes before the end of the final hour to allow
travel time)
Any additional class cost?

We have 5 1/2 full tracks of classes on Saturday + an entire track of lectures
on historical food related research papers,and another 3 tracks of classes
running until Noon on Sunday, but there is still some room for YOUR class. :)

Classes we have confirmed so far include:
Cheese Making in 1500-1600s Europe
Sugar Paste Exhibit in York (and More)
Visit to Classes by Ivan Day
Vicarious Tour of Hampton Court
Making Comfits
period foods to make and bring/ tourney cooking
Autocratting a Feast
Medieval English Street Food
Roman Cuisine II: It's not All Apicius!
Anna Wecker’s Kitchen – a look into the world of early modern German culinary
practice
Spices: Tracing the Spice Routes
Bread without commercial yeast
Fermentation in theory and practice
Cloche baking
Dutch oven Bread making
Dining with the Sultan: History of 15th & 16th c. Ottoman Cuisine (lecture)
Dining with the Sultan: Cooking 15th & 16th c. Ottoman Food (cooking)
16th c. Persian polaws/rice dishes
Peculiar Persian & Arab Foods
English Pies and Tarts
Cooking in pottery over coals
1630's Spanish drinking chocolate
I want candy! Surveying the art of medieval candied noms
Lenten Dietary Practices in the Middle Ages
Period Feasts for Modern Allergies

The Symposium is being held at Camp Sheppard, a BSA camp with heated cabin space
for up to 200! We hope to have the website and class registration up soon- watch
this space for more information!

In joyous service,
Raffaella