[Sca-cooks] A question about dough starter

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Feb 5 10:43:08 PST 2011

Starters from commercial yeast tend to lose their kick in a few weeks.  S.
cerevisiae doesn't like high acid environments which is what you get in a
starter.  That said, what you have should work until the weather clears out.

Since you are using the starter regularly, leave it on the counter covered
with plastic wrap.  Feed it a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour every 12 hours or so.
If you store it in the fridge, feed it once a day.

If you want to make your own starter, mix two cups of flour with one cup of
water (roughly 1:1 by weight) in a bowl, cover it with plastic and leave it
on the counter to ferment for two or three days.  Start feeding it as above
when the initial ferment slows.  On the counter, the starter will go through
an aerobic/anerobic cycle in about 12 hours.  An active ferment should keep
any mold from growing on the starter, but keep it covered when not using it.
Oklahoma has a fine selection of mold.

The last time I was able to use snowshoes in Oklahonma was around 86 or 87.
I haven't used snopacs in about five years, but my 40 year old pair is
keeping my feet nice and toasty.  Should have broken them out for the big
ice storm a couple years ago, but I forgot I had them.

Bear