[Sca-cooks] A question about dough starter

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Feb 5 11:58:04 PST 2011

>My question is:  What is the best way to store and keep starter
>under cultivation?  On the counter?  In the fridge?  How often
>should I feed it?
>
>The leftover manchet made wonderful pain perdu for breakfast
>yesterday.  Today I'm making Digby's bread pudding with the rest of
>the sandwich loaf.
>

>In servicio,
>
>Talana

I use sourdough, and am not sure how different what you are doing,
starting with commercial yeast, is. That said ...

The system I used, based on the instructions in the King Arthur Flour
cookbook, is to keep my sourdough in the refrigerator and not worry
about feeding it there. When I want to use it, I combine 1/4 c of
starter with 1/2 c flour and 1/2 c water, let sit at room temperature
one day. Take 1/4 c of that, 1/2 c of water, 1/2 c of flour, combine,
let sit at room temperature 12 hours. Repeat. Do the same thing,
scaled up to produce as much sourdough as you are going to use, one
more time, letting it sit for 6 hours. Use it.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com