[Sca-cooks] Fw: [Summits] Fw: Officially Period...the tomato

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 22:20:42 PST 2011

<<< Marinara sauce is a stretch.
Ketchup on the other hand . . .  :)
Eduardo >>>

Er, yes and no.

I *think* marinara sauce is always made from tomatoes.

But from pervious discussions here, ketchup originally came from the far east and was brought back by the British. And while it came in a variety of flavors from a variety of fruits and vegetables, tomatoes weren't one of them. I think it originally came from the Far East. So while the concept may be period, I believe it was in America that tomato catsup was first created. Well past period.

These have already been mentioned, but here are the Florilegium files on tomatoes in period.

Tomatoes-art (22K) 10/15/06 "Love, Death or Mere Curiosity? The Tomato in Renaissance Europe" by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/Tomatoes-art.html

16C-Tomato-art (16K) 9/ 5/02 "Sixteenth Century Italian and Spanish Tomato References" by Johnnae llyn Lewis, Helewyse de Birkestad, and Brighid ni Chiarain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/16C-Tomato-art.html

tomato-hist-art (18K) 2/ 1/99 "You say tomato I say Xitomatl" by Lord Xaviar the Eccentric.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/tomato-hist-art.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com