[Sca-cooks] Natural Magick was Spanish tomato sauce, late 16th c.? -- from Gerarde's Herball 1597

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Feb 15 14:11:12 PST 2011

Again another Italian volume.

This is also known as Natural Magick By John Baptista Porta.
Natural Magic 1558 expanded to 20 books 1589. English translation 1658.
Publisher: London : Printed for Thomas Young and Samuel Speed ..., 1658.
and that is up on EEBO Early English Books Online Ebook Collection.

see http://homepages.tscnet.com/omard1/jportat3.html
This Web site showcases the Natural Magick works of Giambattista della Porta (John Baptist Porta) from the 16th century. Known as a scholar of notable ability, Porta devoted great attention to the study of natural and physical science. The translation of his work presented here is the final compendium of his life's work, completed when he was 50-years-old.

You might like to read William Eamon's Science and the Secrets of nature which goes into all these books of secrets. I've had a copy for years.
(I did a large presentation on this topic of Closets and Cabinets in 2005.)

Johnnae, playing librarian