[Sca-cooks] horsemeat

Dan Schneider schneiderdan at ymail.com
Fri Feb 4 09:13:46 PST 2011

Hej Melisande

--- On Fri, 2/4/11, brooke white <traumspindel at googlemail.com> wrote:

> My mother, who has been trained in
> the arts of housekeeping for a private
> home back in Germany told me that the true Sauerbraten from
> the Rhineregion
> used to be horse. That makes a lot of sense,if you think
> about 'not wasting
> old cavallerie horse' and I have absolutely no idea WHEN
> that dish was
> created, but a true Suaerbraten - regardless of what Martha
> Stewart will try
> to make you think is not made in 3 hours. It is marinaded
> rather long in a
> rather sour medium, which would probably soften up overly
> tough meat, would
> it not?
 Might you be willing to share her sauerbraten recipe? It'd be interesting to compare it with my mother's, a proper 3+ day marinade one from Ulm, where her nana came from, if you'd be willing.

<snippage> Overabundand times being ok with being wasteful.
> People didn't eat Panhass (another rhenish specialtly that is no longer
> widely available)BECAUSE they were poor, but because it was tasty
>(Panhass is made from the stuff that add up in the cooking water for >freshly made sausages, it get's sifted out and will get a consistency
>(due to the gelatinous parts of the meat that was cooked/'gebrüht') that >makes it easy to slice. My grandma told me with a guilty smile that she >used to make sure - as a young girl - to let at least two >sausages 'explode' when her mother wasn't watching, so she was
> sure to get enough panhass from one 'making sausages day')

Would these be the Blutwurst they were making on sausage making day?

 <snippage> Ever had 'Blutwurst' (Sausage made from liver)

Well Ive had black pudding in England and Ireland, and Swedish blodpudding; I'd imagine it's similar to those?

 there is a >reason why, it is part of a dish called heaven
> and earth. because if it is a good one and fried quite right and mixed >with applesauce it is absolutely delicious.

Hmm... we usually have fried blodpudding with lingonsilt (lingonberry sauce) and bacon, but I can see how appelsauce could be *very* nice...

Dan