[Sca-cooks] Looking for a Recipe for Lamb Meatballs

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Feb 4 20:27:07 PST 2011

How about a version of this

Fartes of Portingale (Lamb Meatball Soup)

Recipe from Handout

6 cup beef broth or stock
1 lb. ground lamb
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. mace
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. currants
1 1/2 Tbsp. dates, pitted, finely minced
Bring stock to a boil, then reduce to simmer. In a bowl, combine
remaining ingredients, being careful to sprinkle spices and salt
evenly over meat. Roll mixture into small balls. Place meatballs in
simmering stock. Cover pot and continue to simmer for 10 minutes or
until meatballs are done. Skim excess fat from top. Serve hot.

Source for Recipe Presented

I got this redaction from Olena Ksen'ia [Yana] Barsova when she lived
here in my barony. I don't know who actually did the redaction,
whether it was her or someone else.
 From a bit of research I've found out that the original recipe is in
The Good Huswives Handmaid for Cookerie, 1588
Notes and additional versions

The Good Huswives Handmaid for Cookerie, 1588.
How to make Fartes of Portingale. Take a peece of a leg of mutton.
Mince it smal and season it with cloves, mace, pepper, and salt, and
Dates minced with currants: then roll it into round rolles, and so
into little balles, and so boyle them in a little beef broth and so
serve them foorth.

Johnnae