[Sca-cooks] goats milk cheese recipe

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 06:03:01 PST 2011

Katherine wrote: Returning to topic - one wonders if there was a lightly woven
cheese cloth

used?

I would say that what we think of (or buy) in the usual stores when we think of
cheese cloth would not be tightly woven enough.

Based mostly on two things - 1. the title of the recipe, purified whey, so what
I think we are after here is something clear not with bits in it and 2. the fact
it has already been passed through a hair sieve, a hair sieve is remarkably fine
(think extra fine tamis sieve or drum sieve).

These two things taken together leave me to believe that we are passing the whey
through something more akin to a jelly bag, a tightly woven fabric, not loosely
woven.  To remove every last particle of ricotta before we give the purified
whey to the invalid to drink.