[Sca-cooks] Nutmeg, Mace, and Other Parts of the Plant

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Feb 7 10:51:46 PST 2011

This was in the 1616  Koge Bog translation. I suspect that it might
have been mace by that time.
The original is Danish so it may be a translation problem too.

I don't recall ever coming across nutmeg flowers and given that nutmeg
was coming from Indonesia and Banda islands near there in that period,
I can't see how they transported  or would have cared to bring flowers
back.

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Myri_fra.html says--

"Some Euro pean languages name mace flower of nutmeg (German Muskat
blüte, Swedish muskot blomma, Czech muškátový květ or French fleur
de muscade). Although this is botanically incorrect, the mace was
supposed to be the flower of the nutmeg tree during the Middle Ages;
even Marco Polo propagated this error in the 14.th century."

Johnnae