[Sca-cooks] Evidence of tomato eating in late 16th century Italy/Germany?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Feb 12 15:38:10 PST 2011

I haven't been following this discussion, since I thought it was well
established that tomatoes were being eaten by the end of or period.
There's a quote somewhere about their being eaten fried in oil in
Italy; someone may already have mentioned it.

On the other hand, with tomatoes and some other very late period
foodstuffs, while we have evidence that they were eaten we don't know
much about how. Does anyone have an actual period recipe using
tomatoes? Potatoes? Maize? Peanuts?

><< Here's my $.02 on the subject:  Declaring something to be "period" is
>pointless without a place and time.>>
>

>It was my understanding that it was common knowledge that we are talking late
>16th century Italy and possibly late 16th century Germany.
>
>I regret very much that people who have been trying to provide
>textual evidence
>pro or contra are being sort of bashed for dealing with the question.
>
>Even if there are only two lines in the herbal of Durante, Dodoens,
>Mattioli and
>others, given the fact that herbals are specialiced on medical uses of plants,
>mentioning culinary uses is not to be dismissed easily.
>

><< No amount of research is going to make tomatoes period for 14th century
>France, or 13th century England, etc. >>
>

>It is my understanding that noone ever was making such a claim.
>

><< - Doc (who, if you couldn't tell, is really getting to hate the term) >>
>

>See my new subject line. I hope you feel better.
>

>E.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com