[Sca-cooks] odd

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 20 07:37:11 PST 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> What a ridiculous and bigoted thing to say.  Both Hispanics and Middle Easterners are Caucasians/white and culturally known to eat goat.  What race does he/she think they are?  Being Hispanic or Middle Eastern is an ethnicity, not a race.  And by the way, Hindu Indians are also Caucasians, even though some have darker skin than Africans.

No comment on the original statement; the poster surely was not espousing the view, merely reporting it.

Our local Major League Baseball franchise has been, for the past few years, accused of some sort of cultural nepotism, let's say, based on the large number of Latinos on the team roster. It is an interesting point, and I won't argue it.

Until, as almost invariably happens, the plaintiff in the case juxtaposes the word "Latino" versus the word "white" in a sentence. It's a rhetorical death sentence on so many levels.

I also note with some amusement that da Mets are no longer, demographically speaking, Los Mets...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter