[Sca-cooks] OT: Right Noble Guild

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Feb 21 16:21:32 PST 2011

I suspect it was chosen because it sounds  more important. OED lists

II. Senses relating to truth, correctness, or propriety.
  4. Of a person, disposition, etc.: disposed to do what is just or
good; upright, righteous. Cf. sense Now rare.  Senses relating to
legitimacy or authenticity.
  12. Rightful, legitimate, lawful. Now arch. and hist.

There is of course the title Right Honourable which "is applied to
peers below the rank of Marquess, to Privy Councillors, and to certain
civil functionaries, as the Lord-Mayors of London, York, and Belfast,
and the Lord Provosts of Edinburgh and Glasgow; sometimes, also, in
courtesy, to the sons and daughters of peers holding courtesy titles.
(See further, Whitaker Titled Persons (1898) 44.)"

?1449    W. Tailboys in Paston Lett. & Papers (2005) III. 73   To my
right honorabull and right wurshipful lord, my lord Viscont Beaumont.

Johnnae