[Sca-cooks] My upcoming feast...

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Feb 28 13:00:17 PST 2011

I used lavash, as the thin bread that seemed
closest to what the recipe called for. Worked
pretty well. The one problem I had was that
drenching with rose water resulted in a stronger
flavor than most people liked.

Of course, I don't know how strong al-Warraq's rose water would have been.

>That's the one.  And it was a great success.  If bananas weren't already so
>loaded with sugar I'd make that as a dessert for here at home.  I did cheat
>a bit and used puff pastry rather than "bread."
>
>Kiri
>
>On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:
>

>>  It's really bananas, if it's the recipe of which I am thinking.  Although
>>  you could replace the bananas with plantains with little effect on the dish.
>>
>>  You take a round of bread, cover it with bananas, cover the bananas with
>>  sugar and repeat until you fill the pan.  Drench the contents with
>>  rosewater.  Place it in an oven with a chicken suspended above it. Roast.
>>
>>  The judhaban is a large, low-sided pan used to cook various dishes under
>>  roasting meat.  The dishes are named for the pan.
>>
>>  Bear
>>

>--
>"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
>invisible to the eye."
>--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com