[Sca-cooks] midwinter shrimp recipe

Kathleen Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Wed Feb 2 09:17:13 PST 2011

Stefan.... here is the recipe for the shrimp dish.  It was served cold (for expendiency) but can be done hot as well by finishing ooking the raw shrimp in the sauce.  Much of the recipe was done by taste (a seperate plastic spoon per tasting mind you) due to the need to change the hot dish to cold. I find sweet and sour to be a very personal taste so I recommend experimentation with amounts.   Fortunately my taste worked for the feasters, but I made it a bit less tangy than I would at home (connor loves it and mops the sauce with bread).  At home,I will tend to use cider or malt vinegar instead of balsamic.  I love mustard seed, but you may not.  If you don't have any mustard seed (who am I typing at, of course you guys do) dry mustard will work, but will affect the texture and appearance - less rustic looking.  Do NOT use prepared mustard unless it is dijon.  Standard yellow throws off both appearance and taste.

white grape juice and white wine, 50/50 proportions
shallots or green onion (white part) minced
honey
mustard seed, black or brown or both
balsamic vinegar
coarse ground black pepper
salt
olive oil

Saute the shallot/onion in olive oil, until tender but not brown.  set aside.   Reduce wine/juice mixture until it coats the back of a spoon.  Add all ingredients except for shrimp, and continue to simmer until flavors are nicely blended into a sweet/sour sauce.

At this point, if using as cold dish, put sauce to the side to cool.  Once cool, toss with cold, cooked shrimp.

If serving hot, steam shrimp lightly (do not cook entirely) and toss with simmering sauce and cook until almost done.  Remove from heat to allow shrimp to finish cooking in the sauce.

Play with it a bit.  I think you will find it a keeper.