[Sca-cooks] Officially NOT Period...the tomato

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 16:18:24 PST 2011

Adelisa, you are not completely out of luck. I live in foggy San Francisco and I make something similar to what you've described. At the height of tomato season I often get a flat of tomatos and make tomato confit. By this method I can get a flat of tomatos in a smallish container. It is marvelously concentrated and yummy.

Peel, quarter and seed tomatos. This gives you chunks of tomato flesh. Put in a large baking dish in one layer. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top. Lightly salt with sea salt. Add herbs if you wish. Cook at 200 degrees for an hour or two or three until all the tomatos are cooked down. This is from an article in Fine Cooking several years ago.

Juana Isabella
West