[Sca-cooks] Blancmange

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 08:22:46 PST 2011

According to the recipe, this is an adaptation.  The original recipe is made
with wheat kernels and is a harisa...so this variation is one as well, I
guess.  I'm not sure when the almonds became part of it...my thought was
that this might be, if you will, a proto-blancmanger.

Kiri

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kiri
>
>> I did find a recipe in *Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchens *that really does
>> look like it might be a 10th c. antecedent to blancmanger.  The main
>> recipe
>> calls for using meat, and water.  However, there is a variation, *
>> muhallabiyya*, that calls for chicken, rice and milk...all of which get
>> cooked together until they thicken.  It's missing the almonds, but
>> otherwise....
>>
> Second thoughts, Woudnt "muhallabiyya" be an harisa? I think Prry said to
> be blancmange almonds were necessary so although like blancmange it is not
> the thing.
> Suey

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince