[Sca-cooks] Cheese query

Antonia di B C dama.antonia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:48:22 PDT 2011

On 13/07/2011 1:04 AM, David Friedman wrote:
> Someone recently asked me for help identifying a cheese which, if I understood her query correctly, appears in a le Menagier recipe.
>
> "It is in this recipe that I have come across the unfamiliar word "tomme"referring to cheese. Of course I Googled tomme and got the litany of references.The best I can determine is that it refers toa semi-soft cheese that is round in shape, has an earthy colored rind, and a very nutty flavor. Unfortunately, I cannot find acheese nameto go with that description! The ingredients for the pie are not difficult: chard, spinach, parsley, chervil, fennel, mint as well as eggs, salt, frommage frais, "tomme cheese" and grated cheese. It is to be seasoned with ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon."

I think what you're looking for is Tomme de Savoie
http://www.slashfood.com/2010/01/19/what-makes-a-cheese-a-tomme-cheese-course/

General stuff about tomme/toma--
There's the French tomme de Savoie and other French and Swiss varieties,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomme
There are also lots of Italian ones-- toma d'Aosta, toma della Rocca,//
toma Maccagno, toma di Lanzo, toma Piedmontese etc., etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toma_cheese
I found one American maker http://www.vellacheese.com/pages/cheeses.html

Having gone through all that, I think that for putting into a pie, you
could reasonably pick anything semi-soft with a nutty flavour and come
pretty close to the Menagier's intended result.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo