[Sca-cooks] Messisbugo Mustard - Was Dijon Mustard

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sun May 1 04:15:35 PDT 2011

I am fine with that interpretation as long as the ounce to pound ratio is 12
to 1 at that time and place in Italy.
I used the 12/1 ratio for the redaction I just made up.
It is however REALLY clove dominate.
This might change with a bit of age (the mustard is likely to come out) or
maybe the sugar water (instead of honey) might release more mustard flavor.

Another question - Anyone know what why sugar water was chosen instead of
clarified sugar or clear sugar (see below Florio translations)?
Could it be melted sugar?

Any thoughts on this? I would translate it as "clarified sugar" if I was
translating it.

Eduardo

I thought the same things as you looking at this recipe. That is, I would
translate it as 'clarified sugar' and the ratio of 50% clove to ginger made
my eyes water just to think of it. When I make gingerbread I usually use
maybe half a teaspoon of cloves to four or five teaspoons of ginger (if not
more) so no more than 10% cloves to ginger. I wonder if there is a
transcription error, or if period cloves had a very weak flavour?

Angharad