[Sca-cooks] OP, OT: Oz

Cat Colwell eslyssa at gmail.com
Sun May 1 14:59:14 PDT 2011

Speaking as an Australian...

As far as I'm concerned the usage of Oz to refer to Australia has no
reference to the book. Interestingly, I've only ever seen Aus as
written/administrative abbreviation - the spoken abbreviation is always
written (?) Oz. However, someone from Australia is an Aussie, not an Ozzy.
No doubt the book amused a lot of Aussies, but I think that's as far as the
link really goes. The musical, the Boy from Oz, on the other hand, is most
definitely referring to Australia.

And I have never seen or heard our lovely neighbours, New Zealand, referred
to in the collective of Oz - and I think that's the way they'd like it to
stay! :)

Ameline

--
Hello, I'm the Domesday Cook. Fear me. Fear my waffles.