[Sca-cooks] OP, OT: Oz

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sun May 1 06:37:57 PDT 2011

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 05:03:30 -0500
From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] OP, OT: Oz

Phlip said:
<<< If I ever emigrate to Oz, it will be for the inexpensive lamb down
that way. >>>

Is there a connection between the "Wizard of Oz" theme/story/mythical
land and New Zealand (Oz)?

Stefan
Never been to either. I've only seen pictures of New Zealand and seen
the movie on TV (in black and white).
--------
Actually it's Australia that's commonly referred to as 'Oz' and apparently
referring to it as such post-dates the first Oz book, so there's probably no
connection. Although we did have a prime minister in the 90's who was
nicknamed 'the Lizard of Oz' by the British press for touching the Queen.

Angharad