[Sca-cooks] Mutton

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun May 1 17:47:39 PDT 2011

And tonight we did the meat, greens and oatmeal recipe using mutton.
I think the meat was a little more strongly flavored than lamb and
Elizabeth thought it was a little tougher and should perhaps have
been simmered longer, but on the whole the recipe was a success, and
is now in _How to Milk an Almond ..._ with both lamb and mutton as
options, as well as improved proportions.

I think tomorrow we will do one of the Islamic recipes that has mutton.

At some future point I may try to get mutton from an older animal,
since one of the Islamic recipes specifies two to three years, and
see if it is more strongly flavored.

>Success.
>
>Today I found a halal butcher who had mutton, understood the
>distinction between mutton and lamb, sold me a leg, trimmed off the
>fat before weighing it, charged me about $6/lb which, while not
>cheap, is less than my previous attempt, and then boned it for me
>for free and cut up the bone into convenient pieces for soup. We now
>have two pounds of mutton in the refrigerator, four pounds in three
>packages in the freezer for future experiments.
>
>I expect we'll try the recipe again Sunday.
>
>So far as the age of what they called mutton, looking through our
>recipe collection I find one from al-Warraq that specifies a sheep
>in its third year.
>--
>David/Cariadoc
>www.daviddfriedman.com