[Sca-cooks] Salt trenchers

tudorpot at gmail.com tudorpot at gmail.com
Mon May 2 06:34:40 PDT 2011

I came across a reference on the florilegium to "salt trenchers". For
the feast I am doing in June, I'd like to make a salt trencher for each
table. From what little I have found, it appears that bread is baked
with a depression in the top. My current theory - not supported by any
evidence, is that the loaf is formed, and a small round item e.g. small
pottery dish is pushed into the top and then the bread is baked. Not
sure if I have to leave the item in the bread while it is baking or if
just making the depression will be sufficient.

Theadora