[Sca-cooks] trencher salts

tudorpot at gmail.com tudorpot at gmail.com
Tue May 3 17:07:02 PDT 2011

On 03/05/11 3:07 PM, sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
> The Prospect Books, London, 1981 facsimile of Warner is only $130 and
> up. Quite a bargain for a lovely edition. (I own two well because...)
> I'd suggest however that you should read Peter Brears' Cooking and
> Dining in Medieval England first. And also his The Boke of Keruynge
> (Book of Carving) 1508.
Thanks, makes note. Not all of us have unlimited resources, nor do we
all have access to Academic libraries. Thank you for sharing the
references, I hope to find a way to find access to these in the future.
> You stated to start that "From what little I have found, it appears
> that bread is baked with a depression in the top."
I found two references to this- but was unable to confirm sources.  I
hope to do some more research in the future. There is also this
reference to salt cellars made from bread.

Early French Cookery: Sources, History, Original Recipes and Modern
AdaptationsBy D. Eleanor Scully, Terence Peter Scully page 44

In the Menagiers time it was customary to set out salt in cubes of hard
bread which had one side either depressed or hollowed out.

" ...two bread assistants, one of whom will slice bread to make
trenchers and bread salt cellars"

Not having access to the full book, I have not checked footnotes/sources
yet.

Theadora