[Sca-cooks] trencher salts

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue May 3 17:41:41 PDT 2011

From http://grande-boucherie.chez-alice.fr/menagier-Paris.htm the French
more or less matches that translation:
"fera tranchoirs et salières de pain" => will
make trenchers and salt cellars of bread

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/menagier3.html has:
"fera tranchouers et sallieres de pain" => will
make trenchers and salt cellars of bread

A (rather bad) scanned version at
http://www.archive.org/stream/lemnagierdepari01renagoog/lemnagierdepari01renagoog_djvu.txt
appears to probably have the text given above, though it is rather garbled.

A second (rather bad) scanned version at
http://www.archive.org/stream/lemnagierdepari02renagoog/lemnagierdepari02renagoog_djvu.txt
does not appear to have that line, though it does have:
"le sel est placé dans des morceaux de pain
creusés à cet effet" => the salt is placed in
bits of bread hollowed out for that purpose

There is in several of these versions mention of:
"de salières d'argent" => salt cellars of silver

Thorvald