[Sca-cooks] Period Street Food

Sayyeda al-Kaslaania samia at idlelion.net
Mon May 16 15:12:42 PDT 2011

Hello Mercy,

In _A Mediterranean Society, Vol 1._ S.D. Goitein discusses how most
urban dining in Cairo during the Middle Ages (specifically the Abbasid
and Fatimid periods) was "take out" food, since people didn't keep
kitchens in the urban living spaces during this period. Fresh fruit
would be fabulous, especially melons. This is all around p 110-30.

He also mentions bagels being sold in such a fashion, I believe that's
in Vol 2.

There's a little more about the food markets in his article "Urban
Housing in Fatimid and Ayyubid times".

Sayyeda al-Kaslaania