[Sca-cooks] monastic cooking

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon May 16 22:12:30 PDT 2011

--- Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> schrieb am Di, 17.5.2011:

> Von: Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com>
> Betreff: Re: [Sca-cooks] monastic cooking
> An: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Datum: Dienstag, 17. Mai, 2011 03:19 Uhr
> In April someone was looking for
> texts on monastic cookery; tonight I came across
> this German title:
> Dreihundertjähriges deutsches Kloster-Kochbuch ( ISBN:
> 3826215001 )
> Enthaltend: eine bedeutende Anzahl längst vergessener,
> jedoch äußerst schmackhafter Gerichte. Nach einem in den
> Überresten des ehemaligen Dominikaner-Klosters zu Leipzig
> aufgefundenen Manuscript.
> Bearbeitet und herausgegeben von Bernhard Otto.
> Reprint der Ausgabe von 1856.
> Eine einmalige Sammlung längst vergessener, jedoch
> äußerst schmackhafter Gerichte nach Aufzeichnungen aus dem
> Dominikanerkloster zu Leipzig. Ausgesprochene Fastengerichte
> wie Fisch, Eierspeisen oder Gemüse werden genauso
> geheimnisvoll beschrieben wie Wildbraten, Geflügelgerichte
> oder Gebäck.
> 1994, 135 S. ISBN: 3826215001   http://www.buchgourmet.com They list 60 works under
> Recipes from Bible, Monastery, Church & Parsonage

A word of warning on this one: it is a genuine manuscript, as far as I can tell, and i would date it to the sixteenth century from context. however, the editor has relentlessly modernised the spelling and syntax and in the process introduced some misreadings. Still interesting, if not very ascetic (the monastic context is established only through its provenance).

YIS

Giano