[Sca-cooks] Rabbits and hares, an insane ramble.

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Sat May 21 19:19:43 PDT 2011

Not to mention the morning-after hare of the dog.  Although, the complete
quote is, "the hare of the dog that bit ya," and, I suppose if it was a
rabbit that bit you (cocktails in small containers?  Maybe shot glasses?
lowball glasses?)  Maybe it would be the hare of a rabbit, and wouldn't that
mean that a hare married a rabbit? These mixed marriages are bad enough when
they are the more accepted hare and dog, but hares and rabbits, occupying
the same ecological niche, marrying would lead to Montague/Capulet-esque
feuds....though it'd be lucky, I'd think, because of all the lucky feet that
would end up on keychains from the two getting into duels...and it would be
quite a feet to get feud on the table amongst the flashing swords....though
the ready access to dead rabbit flash or flesh (which I assume you got when
the rabbit died while attempting to fleche') would allow you to save on room
and board, though it's hard to be board, during a duel; ask any rabbit.

Though I understand the chief difference between rabbits and hares is that
hares are more stylishly coiffed, and rabbits are better at interpreting the
Torah, which is odd, since neither is kosher....no, sir.

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM, <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 21/05/2011 7:21 AM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>

> You misunderstood, i was not implying that hare is sold as rabbit, but that
> if we must purchase meat from a butcher rather than catching, dressing, and
> butchering it ourselves, then one may settle for rabbit if hare is not
> available, and vice versa.
>
> Hares and rabbits are both in the same family - Leporidae, there being only
> one genus of hares, while there are 8 genera of rabbits. While there some
> significant differences, rabbits and hares share quite a number of
> similarities. Adding to the potential confusion, the jackrabbit common in
> the US is not a rabbit, but a hare, and the so-called Belgian hare is a
> rabbit. So, they can be easily confused by those who are not well attuned to
> their visual differences.
>
> And according to what i have read, hares and rabbits can be cooked in the
> same ways. So those of us who are not hunters - which i suspect is the
> majority - and must rely on what we can purchase, we may substitute one for
> the other in recipes.
>
> --
> Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
> the persona formerly known as Anahita