[Sca-cooks] What is "claussons"?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat May 21 13:51:50 PDT 2011

Katherine in An Tir (whose terrific class on Anna Wecker's cookbook i
took) wrote:
>Looks like clove:
>http://books.google.fr/books?id=QVMpAQAAIAAJ&q=clousson&dq=clousson&hl=fr
And thanks for the reference!

Thorvald wrote:
>Indeed, cloves.

After I had written:
>My Poor Translation
>For hochepot of venison, either of boar or of red deer, take toasted
>bread, & pass pepper through a sieve [although i wonder if one isn't
>supposed to sieve the toasted bread into crumbs], & put in nutmeg,
>pepper, "claussons" [i am not finding this... clausson is a small
>pastry, unlikely; or clous = cloves] & powder [probably poudre
>fine], sugar, cinnamon, red wine, 2 or 3 onions finely chopped, fry
>in butter, & boil them well together until it is glistening.
>
>I looked in a 1611 French-English Dictionary for "claussons" and
>couldn't find it. So my question is, what is it?

Thank you, it looked like cloves to me, given context and the sound
of the word, but i wanted to be certain.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita