[Sca-cooks] Food, glorious food! (mostly OOP)

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon May 23 00:16:20 PDT 2011

>So does anyone know of any other recipes I
>should add to the organ-meats-msg file in the
>Florilegium? Can you even buy brains these days?
>Or is that a prohibited item to sell, like lungs?

Rumpolt has many recipes for brains and other
organ meats.  Here are a couple for brains.

Spensaw  (Piglet) 3.  To make brain sausage.
Take ears/ that are well boiled/ from a pig/ chop
it small with the brain and tongues/ a little
wide meat?? that is fatty/ and take a fresh bacon
with it/ chop it all together/ and mix with
pepper/ ginger/ eggs and saffron/ and when it is
mixed/ then take pig intestines/ and stuff it in
there/ and parboil it in a hot water/ and when it
is parboiled/ then let it become cold/ set again
to (the fire) with a beef broth/ and let cook
until completely to the place (completely done)/
and when it is boiled/ then dress it with a good
chicken broth/ like this it is good and well
tasting.

Ganß 11. Take the brain of the goose/ when it is
cooked/ and grate a weck bread/ that is sliced/
chop it through each other/ put some egg yolks/
and a little ginger in it/ do not over salt it/
take a tart pan and butter in it/ make it hot/
and take a wooden spoon full/ put it in the hot
fat/ turn over often/ and make it/ that it fries
nicely/ because it will fry quickly.  Make a
little piece six or seven/ that will be a dish
full/ because you must have many from a goose/
that the bowl will be full.  And one calls this
dish durtelet (tartelet) of goose brain.

Zugemüß 154.  Pottage (muss) of deer brain.  Take
the brain/ cook it/ and beat with egg yolks/
pepper and ginger/ strain together/ put butter in
it/ let simmer together/ like this it is a good
pottage.

Zugemüß 155.  Pottage from roe deer head.  Take
the meat (that is) on the head with the brain/
and pound with black raisins/ strain with wine or
with beef broth/ which/ as it happened/ so mix
with cinnamon and cloves/ put a little butter in
it/ and stir well/ until it boils/ give warm on a
table/ like this it is also a good pottage.

Ranvaig