[Sca-cooks] SCA placenames

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 25 00:43:24 PDT 2011

Devra said:
<<< I have read that the flesh of the hare is slightly bitter... but
then there's coney (as in Coney Island, which is why the Canton of
Brokenbridge has a hare rampaging on its arms, with a semi of bees,
thus "Bugs Bunny"... >>>

Groan... I assume this is a canton of Great Whyte Whey? Manhattan? But
which borough? I'm not that familiar with NYC and where Coney Island
is located. Is there a story behind the "Brokenbridge" part?

For those who have forgotten, or perhaps for the newer folks here, I
am always interested in the stories behind the various SCA place names
and their associated heraldry such as Devra gave. Some are puns, some
are picked because of local geographic or other features.

Our new canton here in central Texas selected as their name "Hell's
Gate" and their heraldry is a porticlus ie: a gate over a bunch of
fire. The canton is based at Fort Hood, the military base from which a
lot of SCA folks have left, sometimes multiple times, to fight in
Afghanistan and Iraq.

Anyway the three placenames-msg files in the SCA-STORIES contain the
stories I've collected behind the names. If you don't see a particular
group name in there, and you know how it came about, please email me.
It will help though if you look through these files to make sure I
don't already have it. Or put the name into the search engine on the
top page of the site and see if any of these three files comes up. If
none f them do or you disagree or have something to add to what does
come up, please send it to me.

Please feel free to pass this request on to others and other lists. I
think there are still a lot of SCA place names I don't have the
history of, especially smaller shires and cantons.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com