[Sca-cooks] Looking for 2007 issues of the Gauntlet

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 25 14:04:00 PDT 2011

Lord Richard vanUtrecht answered my request with:
<<< Stefan,
I had to pull the older issues off the site as I don't have the
releases for the older issues for all the contributors and some of the
ones I do have specified the release was good for one issue and not
for archives.  So, rather than get my backside in more hot water than
I usually get it in, I made the executive decision to remove them from
the Pentamere site.  I do have them archived on my computer.  If there
is something specific you are looking for (i.e., the venison article)
let me know and I'll pull those issues out and send them to you. >>>

Thank you!  Okay this makes sense, particularly since the issues were
published as complete units and a missing permission for any of them
keeps you from publishing it in that form. I don't know if anyone else
is looking for specific older issues, but it might be helpful to put a
note on the site that they've been removed (temporarily or not). When
I didn't find the issues I expected to be there, I kept looking and
looking, both on that site and elsewhere.

In the case of the Florilegium, I won't publish without a more
explicit permission from the individual authors, anyway. Even when I
find a great article in something like the Gauntlet, I try to contact
the author(s). Some articles I still wish to add to the Florilegium, I
haven't, because I haven't been able to find the author's email
address to even ask them for permission.

The fact that a good article may not be available because of the lack
of permission for another article in the same issue, gives increased
importance, I think, for me to get that article online in a separate
location.

I do have some notes on articles I have wanted to contact the author
for. So perhaps I should send you a list. But there were a number of
issues which I hadn't read yet, figuring I could always go to the site
and read them later. If it's okay with you, I'd appreciate you sending
me all issues that you have and I'll promise to use them only for my
own use and to contact the authors before publishing anything. This
also gives the authors the chance to update, change or add anything
they'd like to.  Of course even after I publish an article, that offer
is always there.

For instance Johnnae asked for her venison article to be published
along with her salted venison one, and I can certainly do that. Either
combined into one file or as two separate files with explicit links
between them.  We've discussed salted meat before, but I guess I was
usually thinking of salted beef or fish. Salted venison didn't occur
to me, but it is obvious it would have been done.

Thanks,
   Stefan
PS: I do welcome authors reaching out to me and sending me their
articles. Don't wait for me to (possibly) see your article and then
find your contact info and make a request.  Some I can't use for
various reasons, but many I do. And the audience for the Florilegium
is so broad that almost all types are of interest to someone. Long
scholarly articles and short overview articles, How-to articles and
academic ones.

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com