[Sca-cooks] The Naming of Names - slightly OOP

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat May 28 17:53:10 PDT 2011

Stefan wrote:
> Which are the groups in the West which are provinces? I do remember
> hearing that most people in the Mists played at a principality level
> rather than at a baronial level, so this makes more sense now.

While i mentioned the two provinces with the Principality of the Mists: the Province of the Mists - which is mostly the East Bay (Berkeley, Oakland, Alameda, and more) - and Southern Shores - which is more or less the city of San Jose+, i neglected to mention that there are three baronies within the Principality of the Mists:
-- The Barony of Darkwood, which encompasses So. Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Benito and Monterey counties, including the cities of King City, Salinas, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and other tasty bits, and has three active cantons;
-- The Barony of the Westermark, which is San Mateo county, the county immediately south of "the City and County of San Francisco";
and
-- The Barony of Vinhold, which is Napa, SW Solano, and east Sonoma Counties (lotsa wine country...)

The Principality of Cynagua has two:
-- The Barony of Fettburg (San Joaquin County, including the cities of Stockton, Manteca, and Modesto);
-- The Barony of Rivenoak (the city of Chico).

The Principality of Oertha has three:
-- The Barony of Eskalya (the greater Anchorage area);
-- The Barony of Selviergard (Eagle River to the Matanuska-Susitna Valley - i'd have to look at a map to figure out where this is);
-- The Barony of Winter's Gate (Northern Alaska, primarily the Fairbanks & North Pole Interior Region) ...where Santa Claus plays...

Baronies in the West are branches/subjects of the Principalities within which they lie, if they are in a principality. Lands which are not within principalities are called The Marches and include many different kind of territories, including:
-- The Barony of Allyshia (Humboldt County in far northern California)
-- The Barony of Tarnmist (San Luis Obispo County, just north of Caid)
-- The Palatine Barony of the Far West (the Asia-Pacific Rim parts of the West Kingdom, including Korea, Japan, Okinawa, Thailand, & Guam, including a number of military bases and ships, called Strongholds)

More than most on this list ever wanted to know.
-----
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita