[Sca-cooks] First feast menu

Spices at Spicewells spicewells at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 10:04:19 PDT 2011

Best wishes for an easy day!
I would suggest that you take a project planning approach to your cooking day,
if you don't already.  Meaning, look at what time you want to serve each
course.  Then, backtime the dish to determine when you should start cooking it.
For example, in course 1, you want to serve at 6 PM.  The ham takes three hours
to cook.  Add another half hour to rest it and then plate, because it's fussy
and you have to slice it.  So, at the latest, the ham would need to go into the
2:30.  Let's say the beans need 6 hours to cook.  They need to go in by 11 AM.
Schedule a 4 PM break  for yourself.  Take a sandwich for that break.

Also, you want your more exotic foods toward the front, so people are hungrier
and willing to give it a try.
These following ideas are just ideas.  Your Mileage May Vary.

Course 1 could be served entirely cold and on the table when your guests
arrive.  To do this easily, have guests come in about 4:30, set their places and
then by 5 lock them back out of the dining hall.  Then, equip your tables with
the items you want them to have immediate access to.

Plan to serve course 2 about a half hour later.
With the saffron rice, in course two, you could probably skip bread in that
course.  You might also want to skip the pickled and raw veg.  If you have
vegetarians you're trying to supply, serve the accompaniments for the chicken or
salmon on the side, so it could be added to the rice.  Or, instead of raw and
pickled items, I might suggest a hot veg in course two.  Or even some sort of
eggplant dish or summer squash dish could be fairly hearty.
Plan course 3 45-minutes after that.

Keep in mind people have allergies.  Nuts, wheat, dairy, mushrooms, seafood,
milk and eggs are the big ones.  Consider dropping the almonds out of the
chicken dish.  Or just make a nice simple roast chicken that you can serve cold
with sea salt.
You could drop the chicken dish in course 2 all together.  You have a lot of
meat in your menu.  It would be all right.

One idea...
Course 1 (on the table) could become:
Moretum
Breads
Tarte de Bry
Honey Glazed Ham with Prune Sauce or Lombard Mustard
Salad of Fragrant Greens

Course 2
Cazuela de salmon- Salmon baked with Pine Nuts, Raisins & Herbs
Roasted Asparagus
Saffron Rice Pilaf
Pickled and raw vegetables

Course 3
Lihammurakipperas - Finnish Meatloaf
Viaunde of Cypress Ryalle - Chicken with a sauce of Currants, Almonds, Honey,
Mace & Ginger or simply roasted chicken
Spring Peas
Potage of White Beans & Leeks

Dessert
Almond Macaroons
Gesufel Hlaf - Spice Loaf with cream
Fresh fruit

Best wishes!  You have good ideas.  Enjoy yourself!
Caitriona
Shattered Crystal
Midrealm