[Sca-cooks] sekanjabin, was: Freezing tarts.

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Sep 3 15:21:27 PDT 2011

At Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:33:52 -0500, Haraldr Bassi wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Something I do with mine that most other people I've talked to don't is steep the mint or the
>ginger in the syrup overnight.

A lot of people in the SCA seem to use "sekanjabin" to refer to syrup drinks in general. Manuscrito Anonimo has a chapter of syrup drinks, but the only one referred to as "sekanjabin" is vinegar with honey or sugar--neither mint nor ginger. Modern sekanjabin, still found in Iranian restaurants and groceries, has mint. I don't know of any evidence for a ginger flavored syrup drink called sekanjabin.

We generally leave the mint in the syrup until it has cooled, then remove most of the mint and bottle the syrup.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/