[Sca-cooks] sekanjabin, was: Freezing tarts.

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 16:11:09 PDT 2011

> A lot of people in the SCA seem to use "sekanjabin" to refer to syrup drinks in general. Manuscrito Anonimo has a chapter of syrup drinks, but the only one referred to as "sekanjabin" is vinegar with honey or sugar--neither mint nor ginger. Modern sekanjabin, still found in Iranian restaurants and groceries, has mint. I don't know of any evidence for a ginger flavored syrup drink called sekanjabin.
>
> We generally leave the mint in the syrup until it has cooled, then remove most of the mint and bottle the syrup.
>
> David/Cariadoc

I tend to refer to drinks that have a vinegar element as sekanjabin. I make a lot of drink syrups but
have never done sekanjabin as I've never really cared much for the taste.  I'll probabaly make a
lemon syrup that can be served either hot or cold or maybe a barley water. I do like the other
mention of the drink that isn't too sweet.

Gunthar