[Sca-cooks] Pepper

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 7 10:07:17 PDT 2011

On Sep 7, 2011, at 12:08 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Katja <katjaorlova at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> And long pepper is incorrectly defined as another kind of pepper, yet cubebs and grains of paradise *are* correctly defined as other dried berries. Why not just accurately define *all three* as pungent dried berries often used as we today use black pepper?
>>

> I hadn't seen that grains of paradise are dried berries before; I like
> grains of paradise, but I hate black pepper, so now I'm curious, what
> is black pepper ?

Long pepper, IIRC, is of the same genus as black pepper: piper longum as opposed to piper negrum... or has it, like the Pluto formerly known as a planet, been reclassified?

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter