[Sca-cooks] black-eyed peas was Spanish Pepper?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Sep 13 19:28:07 PDT 2011

Ken Albala in Beans A History has a chapter on them. Origins of Ethiopia
or West Africa. Known to the Ancient Greeks and Romans. Called
phaselos or phaseolus and in medieval
Italian recipes they show up in Torta de Faxolli Freschi.
CVIII.  Tart of fresh beans.
Take the beans and cook them with pork belly, then paste the beans in
a mortar and the belly with a knife (chop fine), then put the best
spices that you may have and put in much cheese that it is half or
less a third of the batter, and mix old lard and make the tart and it
is most perfect.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/helewyse/librorough.html#CVIII.

This is one of those instances where the new world beans supplanted in
part their place in European cuisine, but at the same time
they spread to the New World with African slaves and gained a new
continent.

Johnnae

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:36 PM, Saint Phlip wrote:snipped