[Sca-cooks] Spanish Pepper?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 14 12:29:31 PDT 2011

Fuchs described capsicums in his herbal of 1541.  There are a couple of
copies online.  Mattioli produced his herbal in 1544, so it is possible that
they were described then.  The earliest European reference I have found for
capsicums is the Diario of Christopher Columbus.

I am curious as to why the ancient Romans would refer to Spanish pepper, as
the concept of Spain is over half a millenium after Rome departed the scene.
Any ideas?

I would also point out that Schinus molle (aka peppertree) in the cashew
family and indigenous to South America is also referred to as Spanish
pepper.  Although that usage is certainly less ancient than the
claimed Roman connection.

Bear