[Sca-cooks] capsicums as period

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 14 13:16:00 PDT 2011

Katzer has a couple of interesting tidbits.  According to the long pepper
page, the term long pepper was used both for P. longum and the capsicums in
the 16th Century.  The chile page points out that Spanish pepper (Dutch
Spaanese peper) derives from introduction by the Spanish.  Thus, if one is
not cautious about usage at a precise point in time, the long pepper (Piper
longum) of the Roman Empire becomes the long pepper (Capsicum longum annum
or just capsicum peppers in general) of the 16th Century and Spanish pepper
becomes a Roman delicacy.  I haven't found the Victorian "hysterian" who
made the stretch yet.

Bear