[Sca-cooks] Spanish Pepper?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 14 15:11:29 PDT 2011

Right, I had forgotten about Hispania.

I have yet to encounter "piper Hispanica" or "piper Iberica" in my
meandering.  I haven't found an entry for it in Pliny and I'm fairly certain
it would show up there, had the term been used.

What I think is happening is the logic chain:  Spanish pepper = capsicum
pepper = long pepper = the same long pepper mentioned in Roman texts without
consideration of changes in the use of "long pepper."  I just haven't found
a documentable source for the error.

Bear