[Sca-cooks] cultural context

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Sep 27 03:34:06 PDT 2011

There's a chapter "Medieval Spain" by Rafeal Chabran in
Regional Cuisines of Medieval Europe: A Book of Essays.  Edited by
Melitta Weiss Adamson. New York; London: Routledge, 2002.

Professor Thomas Gloning’s website attempts to keep track of the work
being done in the realm of historical cookery. See his lists at: A-
KTLN || Old Catalan cookbooks and cooking: Sources and studies  and A-
SPAN || Old Spanish cookbooks and cookery: Sources and studies  http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/kobu.htm#bibl

For cultural aspects try and see

Culinaria Spain. Cologne: Könemann, 1999. 460 pages. Numerous editions
of the original in both hardback and a reduced format paperback. The
original English version has been remaindered, so prices can be very
cheap.
Then in 2010 they relaunched the series. CULINARIA SPAIN: Country.
Cuisine. Culture is the new edition.

Then there's the new volume by Claudia Roden titled The Food of Spain
which just came out in June 2011. It's a mix of recipes and history.

Johnnae