[Sca-cooks] Medieval German "whoopie pies"???

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Sep 2 06:20:48 PDT 2011

On 9/2/2011 5:22 AM, bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:
> Got this from a shire member and figured I see if anyone here knew anything about it.  Seems awfully unlikely to me, but I don't know a lot about German cookery...
>

> "Also I was reading my new whoopie pie book and in the fun fact section it says that "...the origins of the whoopie pie are in medieval Germany, where a cream-filled cake was baked". Does anyone know about said dessert? I am interested in trying it."
>
> Brangwayna Morgan

I don't know about any medieval origins, but I have several Mennonite
cookbooks (I come from a long line of Mennonites, though I am
Episcopalian) and they all have recipes for 'whoopie pies'- basically a
sort of cookie, sandwiched with a creamy frosting. One of the recipes
has you dipping it in melted chocolate. Just reading them makes my teeth
hurt.

Liutgard, who notes that her ancestors are huge sugar freaks

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore