[Sca-cooks] wine for breakfast

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 01:13:36 PDT 2011

It was the common beverage in Castilla if you read the literature from the
time, both in Don Quijote and Lazarillo de Tormes they drink wine for
breakfast, but it's not "our wine", but a more watery and weak version than
the wine we drink today.
Milk as breakfast is a modernity, based on our industrial cattle. They drank
milk only for spring ´when the cows calved.
Ana

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> Suey said:
>
> <<< Catherine of Lancaster, wife of Henry III of Castile at the turn of the
>
> 15th C died an alcoholic of wine. Wine was the breakfast beverage in
>
> Castile at least. >>>
>
> Can you give me more details on this last assertion, that wine was the
> breakfast beverage in Castile in the 15th C.? We've talked about foods for
> SCA breakfasts before as well as a bit on period breakfasts, when they
> existed.
>
> I tried to look through your blog and didn't see more info on this.
> However, since blogs appear to be just serial with no indexes, I may have
> overlooked it or not gone far enough back. I'm just now, this holiday,
> finding time to get over to your blog with time to read through it.
>
> I'm probably biased, but I'm having trouble find what I'm looking for in
> blogs or searching blogs for what I'm looking for. The same goes for
> 'bookmarking' or saving the info I find in blogs.
>
> For instance the Spanish cheese pies that you mention and point to in
> Charles Perry's blog look like a wonderful party or revel item. But unless I
> try to simply save the info by copying and pasting it into a file on my
> system, I'm not sure of a good way to save the recipe for my later use. I'm
> hoping that they can be baked ahead of time and then warmed up just before
> leaving for the party or revel in the microwave or oven.
>
> I love having the photographs of the food items. Several items I would
> probably have skipped over, but I was drawn to read them after seeing the
> food item in a photograph.
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Stefan
>
> --------
>   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/**marksharris<http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris>

http://www.twitter.com/caravia15852
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

mobil/cell +4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci