[Sca-cooks] Spanish Pepper?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:33:28 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Honour Horne-Jaruk <jarukcomp at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Respected friends:
> At my annual "siege cooking" contest at Pennsic this year, one of the contestants included dishes spiced with "Spanish pepper" - a Capsicum pepper, not a Piper species- which she insisted went back to Roman times and was ironclad-documentable to our time period.

No, no, no, no, and no.  Also no.  And no way.

There are 16th century Spanish sources describing the chiles of the
New World, and how the natives use them as a spice, much like
Spaniards use [black] pepper.  And at least one source refers to
chiles as "pimienta de las Indias" (pepper of the Indies).  If there
was something similar already in use in Spain (and I have never seen
any mentioned in period Spanish cookbooks, agricultural and health
manuals, and other resources), then the explorers would surely compare
the New World capsicums to those.

I would bet that the "ironclad documentation" is either some highly
imaginative website or a misreading of some period source.

Brighid ni Chiarain