[Sca-cooks] Spanish Pepper?

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Wed Sep 14 14:12:20 PDT 2011

On 09/14/2011 12:29:31 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

> I am curious as to why the ancient Romans would refer to Spanish
> pepper, as  the concept of Spain is over half a millenium after Rome
> departed the scene.
> Any ideas?

I know a bit about this, being a Roman military archaeologist.
Hispania was the Roman word for the Iberian peninsula.  There were
several colonies and provinces there, starting out with two, both named
Hispania (Citerior and Ulterior).

Several legions and auxiliary units, raised originally from either
colonies of Roman citizens on the peninsula (legions) or native tribes
from the peninsula (units) bore the name Hispana as well.

I have no idea why ancient Romans referred to 'Spanish' pepper.  But
certainly the word, at least originally, would refer to the Iberian
peninsula and the area we now know as Spain.  It is perhaps best not to
take the word too literally, the association with Spain might be pretty
ephemeral (are French fries from France, for example?).

I am curious as to the exact 'ancient Romans' who used the term Spanish
pepper.  There might be a clue in there.  I'm not an expert on ancient
Roman authors, however; my expertise is really more in the military/
empire/political side of Rome.

Aelianora de Wyntringham
An Tir, Dragon's Laire