[Sca-cooks] Seeking salmon recipe

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:56:51 PDT 2011

In Sweden the salmon is made still on the "ancient way". Marinated (gravad
lax) in salt, senap and a lot of dill.
Or with black peppar. Or with snaps.
It's eaten plain, when they cook it it''s easy cooked and accompanied by
potatis, turnips or selleriroot. Only concession to the New World's food are
the potatoes.
Ana

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Susan Lin <susanrlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I did a Russian feast a few years ago (people referred to it as
> "Ottoman Empire") I also did not find a lot of period information.  There
> is
> a great deal from the time of French influence but not much I could find
> that was written prior to that.
>
> If you use modern sources you will find a lot of potatoes and other "new
> world" items.  One of our brewers made several kinds of kvas.
>
> These are some of the books I used.  I tried to extrapolate what might be
> more period - if not the foods themselves then some of the preparations.  I
> also pulled from my Jewish upbringing (pickled tongue, gravlax, etc.)
>
> A Taste of Russia (previously published as A la Russe:  A Cookbook of
> Russian Hospitality) by Darra Goldstein, 1999, ISBN 1-880100-42-8
> Please to the Table -- The Russian Cookbook by Anya von Bremzen and John
> Welchman, 1990, ISBN 0-89480-753-6 (pbk.)
> Culinaria Russia (Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan), editor Marion
> Trutter, 2007, ISBN 978-3-8331-4669-5
>
> Good Luck,
> Shoshanah
>

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM, salbert <morgana at gci.net> wrote:
>

> > Greetings!
> >
> > Our barony is planning a Russian (and close environs) feast, and we are
> > having difficulty finding a period salmon dish. We have access to whole
> > salmon, and 'traditional' cookbooks, but other ingredients (like bunches
> of
> > fresh sorrel) are the main problems. IIRC there's not much in terms of
> > period primary sources for Russian. We could just bake it with dill and
> > mint, but we'd like some alternatives. The Prince and Princess are
> probably
> > coming and we'd like to "wow" them (G).
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the direction of sites that
> > might be helpful (or a spiffy recipe). I've done some hunting around, but
> > lost all my booksmarks awhile ago and am still rebuilding them. And
> dealing
> > with a dial-up modem can be so tedious (sigh).
> >
> > Thanks!!!
> >
> > Morgana yr Oefa
> > Winter's Gate/Oertha/West

http://www.twitter.com/caravia15853
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

mobil/cell +4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci