[Sca-cooks] Seeking salmon recipe

Antonia di B C dama.antonia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:41:45 PDT 2011

Oh, heck, I don't know who we got it from-- my pOn 22/09/2011 10:44 AM,
Ana Valdés wrote:
> Yes but the origin is Norwegian, Swedish, German. I guess New Zealand got it
> from the UK and the UK got from the Danish and from all the people fishing
> salmon. Or did the original inhabitants of New Zealand fish salmon as well?
> I guess these recipes are common to all people having salmon in their
> waters.
> Ana
>
>> On 22/09/2011 5:56 AM, Ana Valdés wrote:
>>
>>> In Sweden the salmon is made still on the "ancient way". Marinated (gravad
>>> lax) in salt, senap and a lot of dill.
>>>

>> That's not just in Sweden.  Gravlax is becoming something of a Christmas
>> treat here in New Zealand.

Oh heck, I don't know exactly who we got it from--my point wwas just
that it *has* spread a lot further than Scandinavia.

No, the Maori did not fish for salmon pre-European contact.  Salmon and
dill were both introduced from Europe.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo